TRANSFER OF GERMAN MILITARY KNOW-HOW AND TECHNOLOGY TO THE OTTOMAN MILITARY FACTORIES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FIRST WORLD WAR


Aydin A., Zorlu T.

BELLETEN, cilt.79, ss.739-760, 2015 (AHCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 79 Konu: 285
  • Basım Tarihi: 2015
  • Dergi Adı: BELLETEN
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.739-760

Özet

Supply of military weapons, equipment, spare parts and ammunition had always been of a crucial importance for the Ottoman Empire. This issue came to be a part of an international diplomacy from 19th century onwards when the Ottoman governments were forced into a position to choose allies from European Powers who were in rivalry in providing military materials. Many companies from France, England and Germany competed with each other in order to have the greatest share from the military supplies market in the Ottoman Empire. Such German companies as Krupp, and Rheinische Metallwaren und Maschinefabrik in Dusseldorf; French company Sxneider/Le Creusot; and British Armstrong/Vickers Company were among them. However, German weapon companies stood out in meeting the needs of the Ottoman military. In the reign of Abdulhamid II, the German company of Krupp came forward in selling artillery weapons in particular after the 1880's, and turned out to be the dominant power in the end of the century, while the other German companies dealt in the various other military materials such as rifles, ammunitions, spare parts, wagons, factory workbenches.